Subscribe to Open (S2O) is a business model that uses subscription payments to convert gated access journals to full open access (OA).
Under S2O, institutional customers continue to subscribe to the journals that their patrons value. If support is sufficient, new volumes are published OA under a Creative Commons license; if support is insufficient, the paywall is retained. Thus, S2O is a subscription model, not a voluntary donation approach. It offers a partnership for rapid and equitable conversion to OA for readers and authors in all disciplines.
S2O provides Diamond OA, meaning that the article is immediately available with no access barrier and no author fee.
S2O is endorsed by OA2020 and by cOAlition S.
S2O is inclusive; it is applicable to all readers and authors, in all disciplines, in all countries.
To watch this video on YouTube, click here
Which journals are currently in the Subscribe to Open program?
Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering (new to S2O in 2021). Read Press Release
Annual Review of Cancer Biology. Read Press Release
Annual Review of Environment and Resources. Read Press Release
Annual Review of Genomics and Human Genetics (new to S2O in 2021). Read Press Release
Annual Review of Nuclear and Particle Science. Read Press Release
Annual Review of Political Science. Read Press Release
Annual Review of Public Health. Read Press Release
Annual Review of Virology (new to S2O in 2021)
What are people saying about Subscribe to Open?
– Jeff MacKie-Mason, University Librarian, Chief Digital Scholarship Officer, Professor, School of Information and Professor of Economics, UC Berkeley
– Colleen Campbell, Open Access 2020 Initiative
What are the benefits of supporting Subscribe to Open?
Benefits for Subscribers
- Guaranteed permanent data rights to the content (regardless of the success of the offer)
- Access to Reviews in Advance (RIAs), which are articles available before their official publication date
- Enhanced back volume availability
- Demonstrated commitment to Open Access
Benefits for Authors
- OA publication without any article charges. This provides equal OA support for authors from all institutions and to all fields of research
- Articles are published under a Creative Commons license
Benefits for the Community
- Makes scholarly review content available to the larger community
- Supports open science and helps meet the growing demand for OA publications
What will ensure the success of Subscribe to Open?
We need the support of institutional subscribers in order for S2O to be a success. Subscribers can simply renew annual subscriptions or become new subscribers to help S2O succeed.
Researchers can contact their libraries directly to advocate for participation.
Pricing and expenditure transparency
Looking for more information?
Click on the links below to access additional information on S2O:
- Read an article in Learned Publishing for full description of S2O
- For librarian reaction, read Subscribe to Progress: Advancing Equity Through Openness
- Open Access Week 2021 blog post: Equity is at Heart of Subscribe to Open Model
- Listen to the Authority File podcast
- Download and share a marketing flyer describing S2O
- Visit the S2O Community of Practice